For Ear Sake is not a music blog that illegally shares albums, but an outlet geared toward supporting artists. You will get a full sense of what moves me musically through the albums reviewed, videos, and other miscellaneous music topics. For Ear Sake was created to shine a light on different genres, and educate individuals on the importance of supporting the artists we listen to. With an open mind and heart for music, not only will this be an adventure, but the perfect source for inspiration, and a journey for you and I respectively. "And through the production of music, we inspire beauty; a gift crafted perfectly with the lessons of life and the fantasy of our futures."

Tuesday, May 17, 2011


O.C. Smith - O.C. Smith At Home (1969)
Genres: Funk, R&B, Soul

O.C. Smith At Home is O.C. Smith's fourth album, and his second release on Columbia Records. I unexpectedly stumbled upon this release at my local record store. I had no prior knowledge of who he was (or maybe I did and didn't remember), but the album cover stood out, so I gave it a spin. The album didn't stand out amongst other Soul albums I've heard, but the track titled, "Clean Up Your Own Back Yard" stood out. Around the time I found this album, I kept having religious conversations with my mother, and that track caused me to purchase the album. Plus it was only $1, so it wasn't a hard decision to purchase it. A part of me believes that finding this album wasn't just a coincidence. I honestly believe God was communicating to me through music. Religion isn't just wrapped within the track I heard, but O.C. Smith was also the founder and preached for 16 years at The City of Angels Church in Los Angeles, California. God truly works in mysterious ways.

O.C Smith At Home is recommended to anyone that enjoys homegrown Soul music. This album isn't too hard to find, and the prices are inexpensive. Several copies can be found via Discogs (
click here), so if you're interested in grabbing a copy for yourself, be sure to do so. However, be careful when purchasing from private sellers; be sure to pay via Paypal, and always check the seller's feedback and communication skills. I've also added additional pictures and the track that motivated me to purchase the album. The music is not for download, but for listening purposes only. Please purchase the material if you enjoy what you hear.



O.C. Smith - Clean Up Your Own Backyard

No comments: