For Ear Sake is not a music blog that illegally shares albums, but an outlet geared toward supporting artists. You will get a full sense of what moves me musically through the albums reviewed, videos, and other miscellaneous music topics. For Ear Sake was created to shine a light on different genres, and educate individuals on the importance of supporting the artists we listen to. With an open mind and heart for music, not only will this be an adventure, but the perfect source for inspiration, and a journey for you and I respectively. "And through the production of music, we inspire beauty; a gift crafted perfectly with the lessons of life and the fantasy of our futures."

Friday, September 2, 2011



SBTRKT - SBTRKT (2011)
Genres: Dubstep, UK Garage

Known for wearing masks made by Hidden Place, and remixing tracks for artists such as Basement Jaxx, Little Dragon, M.I.A., and more… SBTRKT finally released his debut album. The self-titled release not only features solid production by the London, UK musician/producer, but it also features a nice line-up of musicians. Yukimi Nagano, Jessie Ware, Sampha, and Roses Gabor vocally enhance the album in their own right. Eleven tracks of hard-hitting beats, with equally hard-hitting vocals makes for a solid debut album by Young Turks' musician, SBTRKT.

"What SBTRKT has done is take all the best elements of the past two decades worth of dance sub-genres and used these ingredients to make a 11-course popping candy meal of an electro album. The intricacies of its production, paired with soulful vocal melodies, are enough to propel the bubbling UK underground electronic movement into the mainstream periphery. SBTRKT has shoved his way to the front of the audience and now sits side stage, ready step out of the shadows and jump into the limelight." - Drowned in Sound

Some saw this release as a surprise, but for the ones like myself awaiting an album from SBTRKT, it was a relief. I was overcome with a sense of excitement when I heard the opening track "Heatwave"; I prepared my ears for the Electronic experience they'd been craving. But just when my hopes were up, the second track "Hold On" made me think otherwise. It left me with crossed fingers, in hopes for better material. Then there it was, the song of all songs, the Big Gambino, the ever-loving motherload… The track "Wildfire" featuring Yukimi (from Little Dragon) stopped me dead in my doubtful tracks, and slapped any uncertainty I had out of my system. The wobbling instrumental laced with Yukimi's soulful voice was a match made in heaven. I repeated the song 10 times before moving along to the next track. The rest of the album was good, but sadly, the remaining tracks didn't give me the same musical-fix I received from "Wildfire". Despite my addict outlook, I enjoyed the tracks "Trials of the Past", "Right Thing To Do", "Never Never" and "Go Bang".

Regardless of the remainder of the album not being able to outdo the song "Wildfire", the album is still a solid release, and it deserves a listen. If you like Dubstep, you'll most likely enjoy this album. As far as purchasing goes… Bleep has digital, vinyl, and CD copies in stock (click here), so be sure to support the artist by purchasing yourself a copy! I've also included the video for the Big Gambino track "Wildfire" below. Enjoy!

6 comments:

vstar* said...

Great Post. I haven't heard the album in entirety, mainly because I couldn't imagine anything living up to the Nagano-assisted single. Seems my instincts were correct, if I've read your review correctly. I'll check the songs you suggested out on youtube. Maybe his 2nd album will see him focused more on what made 'Wildfire' a certifiable smash!

court cobain said...

Yeah, you read correctly. The Big Gambino stole the show! I honestly don't see how one could outdo a song like that. I think he'll fall into the same issue if he has a strong single like that on his next album.

vstar* said...

you might be right. i guess he needs to concentrate on not being a one-hit wonder (?)

court cobain said...

I don't think he knew how heavy of a song "Wildifre" would be. Little Dragon just happens to be a really good band that smashes everything they approach. He had other good songs, they just weren't as strong in my opinion. But hey, that's just my opinion. My friend loved other songs on the release just as much as "Wildfire", so don't take my word for it 100%. Give the album a try, and let me know how you feel about it.

tekneiq said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tekneiq said...

man if you haven't bought this album you need to. The sound is so dynamic and vocals are ridiculous. SBTRKT is definitely a pioneer of his craft; his album was a breath of fresh air. ntm yumi guest starring made it that better :) bottom line this album is pure gold, grab it for the collection.